Your browser does not support accepted Web standards. This site has been redesigned to meet Section 508 accessibility standards for persons with disabilities and to meet W3C recommendations for forward compatibility. If you are using an older browser (Netscape or IE 4.x and older), the site layout will not display correctly. However, all pertinent information should still be viewable. To better view this site, please download a browser that complies with Web standards. For upgrade information, visit [www.webstandards.org/upgrades]. Comments or questions? Email [accessibility@osrhe.edu].

Skip directly to: Content, Search Box, Main Navigation
 
 
 
 

OCALD Minutes

OCALD
Minutes of the October 25, 2001 meeting
ONENET Conference Room, Oklahoma City

Dr. Ed Johnson called the meeting to order at 1:10 p.m. This was a videoconference with sites at OSU-Tulsa, Cameron and East Central University, as well as ONENET.

Minutes of the September 25, 2001 meeting were approved.

Old Business
Ed Johnson read the letter, which he sent to the OSRHE Student Advisory Board concerning the Library Services Student Survey. A response needs to be made to the 107 respondents who included their email addresses. Phil Moss will follow-up on this and notify the Directors at each institution.

There were several comments and questions concerning the future use of the survey:

The Executive Committee recommended that OCALD submit a proposal to the National Science Foundation for a $500,000.00 grant. The OSRHE would be the Proposal Agency and Phil Moss would be the Principal Investigator. Co-principal members are Danelle Hall, Alan Lawless and Sharon Saulmon. The proposal would be to provide live reference via IP based video using Internet II, with the possibility of expanding to Professional Development or Online Training later. This would be a model to serve distant learners and would be a two-year project. The proposal must be submitted by February 6, 2002.

New Business
Phil Moss gave an update on the OSRHE. The Regents' Retreat was Nov. 25-26 at Quartz Mountain Lodge. The 2001 Oklahoma Legislature recently gave Quartz Mountain Lodge to the OSRHE. Some items of the general business meeting will be the Education & General Budget for the FY2003, a strategic plan for the Regents through a five-year plan and performance funding.

Phil provided a handout about INFOMINE, scholarly Internet resource collections. The URL is http://infomine.ucr.edu. He also mentioned a resource by Bob Swisher at www.ou.edu/webhelp/forum.

Barbara King has put the OCALD Directory on the listserv. Please verify the information, correct the errors and fill in the blanks and send changes to Barbara.

It was noted the netLibrary is looking for a buyer and a concern was expressed about the ongoing of the program. AMIGOS will give access via CD-ROM.

Ed Johnson commented on the value of the Survey on Library Fees conducted by Jeanette McQuitty and asked all Directors to send the information requested to her and he would ask her to update the survey and send it to the list.

COMMITTEE REPORTS
Jon Sparks asked for help on the Expanded Academic Resource Committee. Volunteers were Alan Lawless and Julie Ligon.

David Robinson, Cooperative Collection Development Committee Chair, reported the RFP for PsychInfo has been sent with 10-15 libraries indicating an interest. Ten other databases were suggested as possible group purchases, with full-text CINAHL having the majority interest. Another source mentioned was a system for the management of electronic serials and statistics.

Donna Skvarla, Federal Relations Coordinator, presented a page with information concerning Anti-Terrorism Legislation and the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). Librarians should remain aware and take action on legislation affecting libraries.

Ed Johnson reported that Depository Libraries should be alert to the possibility of official visits from individuals removing government documents from the shelf. The Supt. of Documents will send information concerning this procedure. Purchased items should not be affected.

Sharon Saulmon reminded the group of the First Amendment Forum, November 8 & 9 and the Advocacy Conference, November 28 at ODL.

The next meeting will be December 6, 2001 at the University of Central Oklahoma.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:15 p.m.

Karen Olive for Barbara King
Secretary