OCTOBER 28, 2009

HOME

OPSU Celebrates No Man’s Land Historical Society's 75 Years

The No Man’s Land Historical Society celebrates 75 years of preserving history in the Oklahoma Panhandle this year. On May 2, 1932, the Panhandle Museum Group opened the first No Man’s Land Museum in the Sewell-Loofbourrow building on the OPSU campus. Later, the Group approached three pioneering groups that helped establish the Society in 1934: the Cimarron County Old-Timers Association; the Pioneers of No Man’s Land of Beaver Society; and the Texas County Settlers Association. The Historical Society raised $30,000 that was matched by the Oklahoma Legislature, and in the late 1940s, the current museum was constructed. The Society has several events planned this fall and encourages anyone interested to attend and aid their efforts in preserving the history of the area.

Plans are under way to renovate and expand the No Man’s Land Museum, and to help raise those funds, Gerald Dixon’s book, 80 Years of Memories, is currently on sale in the gift shop with the proceeds benefitting the building fund.

The museum is also planning a Day of the Dead exhibit and asks that anyone who would like to celebrate the life of a loved one to plan a display. Please call the Museum at 580-349-2670 for suggestions about what to bring to honor a deceased loved one.

Plan now to enjoy all the No Man’s Land Society has to offer and help them continue to preserve history in the Oklahoma Panhandle.