Parent involvement is crucial to ensuring
the best possible education for students, but knowing how to strengthen the connection between schools and parents can be challenging. Oklahoma GEAR UP's Parent Leadership Academy engages parents to become better informed about education so they have the necessary
skills to forge the parent-school-community partnerships essential to improving academic achievement for students.
With support from Oklahoma GEAR UP, the Parent Leadership Academy provides parents with the tools and training to understand what students are expected to learn and be able to do. They learn leadership skills necessary to develop parent-school-community partnerships to significantly increase the number of students who are prepared to enter and succeed in college.Parents Commitment
- Attend six days and three evenings of training spread out over a three-month period.
- Complete homework following each session.
- Understand the class is just the beginning. The real work is the project (for which you will receive support and money).
Parent Leadership Academy Participants
To participate in the Parent Leadership Academy, school sites must have attended the GEAR UP LOGIC sequence professional development workshops since 2006-07. Participation is open to all parents, grandparents and guardians who have or have had children in Oklahoma public schools.
The 2010-2011 PLA participants have been selected and registration is closed.
- Parents will be better informed about education.
- Parents will have clearer understanding of education terms and jargon.
- Parents will have clearer understanding of what children are expected to learn.
- Parents will place higher value on education for their child and for themselves.
- Parents will help schools better communicate with all parents.
Benefits of Parent Leadership Academy Training for Schools:
- Schools will have parents who are better informed about the challenges schools face.
- Schools will have parents who are more supportive of schools and school staff.
- Schools will have parents who are better prepared to serve as effective members of school committees, councils, etc.
- Schools will have parents who understand the need to be involved in their child’s education.
- Schools will have parents who can bring skills and resources to schools.
Benefits of Parent Leadership Academy Training for Students:
- Students will have parents who better understand the child’s strengths and challenges at school.
- Students will know their parents are interested in their education.
- Students will know their parents value education.
- Students will have parents who are stronger advocates, decision-makers and teachers.
- Students will have greater likelihood of achieving at higher levels and of continuing education after high school.
For More Information