Parent Leadership Academy
Parent involvement is crucial to ensuring the best possible education for students, but knowing how to strengthen the connection between schools and parents can be challenging. Oklahoma GEAR UP's Parent Leadership Academy engages parents to become better informed about education so they have the necessary skills to forge the parent-school-community partnerships essential to improving academic achievement for students.
The Parent Leadership Academy is an opportunity for parents to learn how to become involved in not only their children’s education but become better informed about how to strengthen learning for all students. It opens the lines of communication between parents, students and teachers. Also, it helps parents get a clearer understanding of education terms and jargon, which eases the exchange of ideas and encourages parental support in the school.
With support from Oklahoma GEAR UP, the Parent Leadership Academy provides parents with the tools and training to understand what students are expected to learn and be able to do. They will learn the leadership skills necessary to develop parent-school-community partnerships to significantly increase the number of students who are prepared to enter and succeed in college.
- Attend six days and three evenings of training spread out over a three-month period.
- Complete homework following each session.
- Understand the class is just the beginning. The real work is the project (for which you will receive support and money).
Parent Leadership Academy Participants
Participation is open to all parents, grandparents and guardians who have or have had children in Oklahoma public schools.
For more information
Benefits of Parent Leadership Academy Training for Parents:
- Parents will be better informed about education.
- Parents will have clearer understanding of education terms and jargon.
- Parents will have clearer understanding of what children are expected to learn.
- Parents will place higher value on education for their children and for themselves.
- Parents will help schools better communicate with all parents.
Benefits of Parent Leadership Academy Training for Schools:
- Schools will have parents who are better informed about the challenges the schools face.
- Schools will have parents who are more supportive of schools and school staff.
- Schools will have parents who are better prepared to serve as effective members of school committees, councils, etc.
- Schools will have parents who understand the need to be involved in their children’s education.
- Schools will have parents who can bring skills and resources to schools.
Benefits of Parent Leadership Academy Training for Students:
- Students will have parents who better understand their children’s strengths and challenges at school.
- Students will know their parents are interested in their education.
- Students will know their parents value education.
- Students will have parents who are stronger advocates, decision-makers and teachers.
- Students will have greater likelihood of achieving at higher levels and of continuing education after high school.