Your browser does not support accepted Web standards. This site has been redesigned to meet Section 508 accessibility standards for persons with disabilities and to meet W3C recommendations for forward compatibility. If you are using an older browser (Netscape or IE 4.x and older), the site layout will not display correctly. However, all pertinent information should still be viewable. To better view this site, please download a browser that complies with Web standards. For upgrade information, visit [www.webstandards.org/upgrades]. Comments or questions? Email [accessibility@osrhe.edu].

Skip directly to: Content, Search Box, Main Navigation
 
 
 
 

OCALD Minutes

OCALD
Minutes of the March 9, 2007 meeting
State Regents' Conference Room
1 p.m.

In Attendance:
On Site: Christine Dettlaff, Redlands; Jon Sparks, MACU; Marty Thompson, OUHSC; Victoria Swinney, OK City University; Bonnie McNeely, UCO; Sherry Young, Cameron; Sharon Saulmon, Rose State; Barbara King, OCCC; Jan Reinbold, SNU; Jon Woltz, SWOSU; Susan Jeffries, NWOSU; Njambi Kamoche, Langston; Bettye Black, Langston; Adrianna Lancaster, ECU; Sharon Morrison, SOSU; Debra Engel, OU; Kelly Brown, USAO; Susan McVey, ODL; Phil Moss, OSRHE; Anita Semtner, St. Gregory’s; Allen McKiel, NSU; Nancy Draper, Hillsdale: Tami Willis, Oklahoma Christian

Remote: Cindy Pollard, Ardmore; Daphane Kerley, Connors; Terrie Carroll, Carl Albert; Alan Lawless, Rogers; Jerri Hall, OSU-Tulsa; Sandy Shadley, Phillips

Sherry Young called the meeting to order. The minutes from the November 16, 2006 meeting were approved as written.

Digitization Project: Sherry Young and Cokie Anderson from OSU-Stillwater, discussed the digital project meeting they attended in December at the Oklahoma History Center. There was representation from TU, OU, OSU, ODL, History Center, Rose and Cameron.

Ms. Anderson had a PowerPoint presentation. She has developed a test website. The website is a portal to link all the historical digitization projects, pertaining to Oklahoma history, from around the state. The URL for the test website is http://digital.library.okstate.edu/ocald/. The website only has the information libraries across the state have sent to her.

Regents’ Report: Dr. Phil Moss presented the State Regents’ report. December 5, 2006 the new Chancellor, Dr. Glen Johnson from Southeastern, was appointed.

Dr. Moss reported the Regents have a new Vice Chancellor for Budget and Finance. Her name is Amanda Paliotta. She replaces Maryanne Maletz. She was previously the director for the Senate fiscal staff.

The Adult Degree Completion Program was approved at the Regents’ February meeting. Nine regionals are involved. This program will target 69,000 students that have 72 hours but have not completed their bachelor’s degree. The program is a Bachelor’s in Organizational Leadership.

GearUp will start publicizing and launch the new student information portal OKcollegestart.org at the end of March. Its focus is to increase college graduates.

The student portal will go live in a month or so.

Dr. Moss sent an email to all the private institutions for their share of the databases (Newsbank and PsycInfo). He will get a spreadsheet with the dollar amount.

Regents Textbook Symposium Report: Sherry Young did a presentation on the Textbook Symposium that was held on Dec. 13, 2006. There were representatives from various areas; publishers, bookstores, business managers, students. Dr. Moss reported that the Faculty Advisory Board is very concerned not just about textbook costs but the cost of academic content and learning resources.

Panhandle State has a textbook rental program that works well for students.

OK-ACRL Conference Report: Sherry Young and Jon Sparks gave a presentation on the OK-ACRL Conference. Dr. Sparks gave a PowerPoint presentation. Dr. Sparks said there are PowerPoint presentations available on the OK-ACRL website: http://okacrl.okstate.edu/.

Issues in Book and Serial Acquisitions Conference (Charleston) Table Talk Report: Allen McKiel gave a PowerPoint presentation on the conference he attended. He reported that publishers are now doing more printing on demand in lieu of publishing big “run”.

ODL Report: Susan McVey gave the ODL report. The legislature is currently in session. She reported that three-fourths of the legislators are new and technology savvy. She gave an update on HB 1715 dealing with public libraries and adult supervision of any one 18 or younger on the Internet and Internet filtering. She is warning academics to be aware of this one. She also reported on HB 2045 which deals with ONENET moving to the Office of State Finance. Is this good or bad?

Susan said we could get updates on legislative activity at www.lsb.state.ok.us.

Committee Reports:

Executive Committee – Sherry Young reported on the executive committee meeting. There will be an ad hoc assessment committee formed. It will be chaired by Sharon Morrison. Members include Adrianna Lancaster, Victoria Swinney, Karen Neuhor, and Jenny Duncan.

Sherry Young said there were requests from a few libraries for various surveys. The requested information will be combined into one and sent out in the near future.

Cooperative Collection Development and Resource Sharing – No report.

Assessment Discussion Group – Sharon Morrison gave an update. She said she and Victoria Swinney will work on a survey for input/output information. The committee will have a brainstorming lunch session to come up with ideas.

Expanded Instructional Support – Jon Sparks gave an update. He is the new chair. He said the committee needs new members and they do not have to be directors. Email Dr. Sparks at jsparks@macu.edu.

Allen McKiel will chair a subcommittee on online instruction. If interested in serving please contact Dr. Sparks.

Bylaws – Daphane Kerley gave an update. The executive committee requested a change in the bylaws to reflect actual practice. The change is to amend the second paragraph, second sentence of Article VII to read as follows:

”The chair of each committee will be selected by the Executive Board.”

Ms. Kerley made a motion to change, no second needed. It passed unanimously.

New Business: Marty Thompson gave an update on the DynaMed Clinical decision tool for health sciences libraries. There was some interest shown and he has made arrangements for consortium pricing. If there is any interest you can still contact Marty Thompson at marty-thompson@ouhsc.edu.

Deb Engel said Legislative Day will be April 24, 2007. She made a motion to receive legislative updates. Jon Sparks seconded, it passed unanimously.

Marty Thompson reported there is another Tabor bill in the works. Be on the lookout.

The next meeting will be May 17, 2007. Marty Thompson made a motion to adjourn and Jon Sparks seconded. The meeting adjourned at 3:07.